Roy's Foggy Avenues

Up and Down the Foggy Avenues of my mind.

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Books Completed in December 2006


Kilrone. by Louis L'Amour (Bantam Books, 2002)

Didn't get much reading done this month. In December I moved back to Texas after 10 years, most recently from San Francisco, and with that and Christmas, and everything else, I've been pretty busy. Still haven't even gotten my books from the movers. Probably the only reason I finished this one is that it is only 152 pages long.

However it was a diverting 152 pages, a pretty decent story that could have been more fleshed out. The rough dialogue fit it. After my recent trip up to Modoc Country, the Northern Nevada setting was pretty vivid. I've only recently starting learning about the American Indians in the Northern Great Basin, and this only makes me want to read a general history.

Kilrone is about a cavalry battalion in Northern Nevada that gets in trouble during the Bannock War, there seems to be a fair amount of research involved, a character seemingly based on Sarah Winnemucca and a few other details, but there is certainly a sort of generic quality to the story, which is mostly a revenge tale about the title character and a corrupt and criminal villain who runs a camp outside the fort. My basic review is that it is as I said earlier: diverting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home